The Residential Tenancies Amendment Bill 2018 was passed in September and included more than 130 reforms that aim to increase protections for renters.
Victorian property investors need to be aware of these changes which include:
– Minimum standards for locks, heating and insulation;
– Tenants’ rights to undertake minor modifications (eg hang pictures);
– Protecting tenants’ privacy;
– Tenant’s rights in relation to pets;
– Protections in cases of domestic violence;
– Limits on rent increases;
– Caps on bonds
If you currently own a property or plan to own an investment property you need to understand these new changes.
This month I have asked property lawyer Lewis O’Brien to explain what these new rules mean for property investors, including placing this in the context of some recent VCAT decisions and other potential changes that are sought by tenant’s advocates.
Lewis established his own thriving legal practice 18 years ago. Lewis O’Brien & Associates focuses on catering for the needs of property investors ranging from beginners to the sophisticated, offering services from basic conveyancing to supporting joint ventures, property options, vendor terms contracts, property developments, second mortgages and many other creative investment strategies.
Lewis is recognised as a leading authority on creative property investment techniques and has acted for and is recommended by many of Victoria’s most successful property investors. His unique blend of skills and experience can add value to every property investor.
You do NOT want to miss this meetup!
A Few Important Notes
1. Bring Your Pads, Pens, iPad or whatever it takes but don’t forget to take notes. When you come to the Property Meeting, please bring something to take notes – you don’t want to miss a thing as we’ll be sharing very valuable information on the night!
2. Diarise South Melbourne 2018 Property Meeting Calendar
– Thursday 6th December
Come and Be Part Of Our Popular Networking ….
This is going to be an awesome evening so prioritise the date in your diary and get ready to learn.
There will be plenty of opportunity for networking on the night with over 40 property investors.
Time permiting we will do our famous and very effective ‘focused’ networking but you have to be there to experience it!
I look forward to seeing you there!